Mannarino moves on as Sofia semi-finals are set
- 12 Nov 2020
ATP Sofia Open, quarter-finals
Mannarino d. Albot 6-2, 1-6, 6-3
Pospisil d. Millman 6-3, 6-2
Sinner d. De Minaur 6-7(3), 6-4, 6-1
Gasquet d. Caruso 7-6(4), 7-5
- Key info: The semi-finals at the ATP Sofia Open are now set.
- You will also learn: How the unseeded Vasek Pospisil got to the final four.
- Why read this story: Three of the four semi-finalists in Sofia are unseeded.
Fifth seed Adrian Mannarino will face unseeded teenager Jannik Sinner for a place in the final of the ATP Sofia Open.
The Frenchman was given a bit of a test in his quarter-final by Romania’s Radu Albot, who pushed him to three sets.
But Mannarino came through 6-2, 1-6, 6-3, hitting seven aces as he continued a fine run of form which extends back to Cologne last month, with ten wins out of 13 matches.
Italy’s Sinner will go into Friday’s encounter on a high after beating third seed Alex de Minaur in an upset of his own, 6-7(3), 6-4, 6-1.
The other semi-final will be contested by two other unseeded players – Vasek Pospisil and Richard Gasquet.
Pospisil pulled off a shock when he defeated sixth seed John Millman of Australian in straight sets, 6-3, 6-2, in their quarter-final.
— Sofia Open (@sofiaopentennis) November 12, 2020
The Canadian won 24 of 28 points on his first serve and raced through to win in just 72 minutes.
And veteran Gasquet beat Italy’s Salvatore Caruso 7-6(4), 7-5 to seal the last remaining place and reach his first semi-final of the year.
- Also watch: The top players fear Sinner – Eye of the Coach #27
- Also see: Sinner ousts de Minaur in marquee match-up