Up to 1,000 fans to be allowed for Rome semis and final
Having initially banned spectators from coming due to the Coronavirus restrictions, the Italian government changed their minds on Friday, saying up to 1,000 fans will be allowed in for the semi-finals and final.
Originally, it was deemed too dangerous to allow fans into the Foro Italico but on Friday, the Italian government announced a change of heart and so the semi-finalists in the Internazionali BNL d’Italia will be played in front of spectators.
The news, which was released on the Italian newswire Ansa follows the decision by the French government on Thursday to reduce fans at this year’s Roland-Garros event to a maximum of 5,000 fans per day, having previously hoped to allow 11,500 in.
“(Up to) 1,000 spectators will be able to attend open-air sports events, starting with the semi-finals of the Italian Open tennis tournament (in Rome at the moment),” he said He stressed that the rules on physical distancing and the use of facemasks will have to be scrupulously respected,” Italy’s sports minister Vincenzo Spadafora said.