into your inbox
Thousand have already subscribedy
Berlin champion Samsonova stops Stephens to remain red hot on grass
Liudmila Samsonova continues her fine form with a tough three-set win over Sloane Stephens in the Wimbledon third round on Friday.
- What happened: In a matchup of unseeded players, Liudmila Samsonova defeated former US Open champion Sloane Stephens 6-2, 2-6, 6-4 in two hours and one minute.
- Key stat: Stephens struck zero aces, double-faulted four times, won only 32 percent of her second-serve points, and was broken on five occasions.
- Key stat #2: Samsonova completely dictated all of the play. She struck 31 winners to go along with 44 unforced errors, while Stephens recorded only eight winners and 17 errors.
- On fire: Samsonova captured her first WTA title two weeks ago in Berlin and is now through to the fourth round of Wimbledon. She had previously never advanced past round two of a Grand Slam.
- Next opponent: The 22-year-old Russian will meet Karolina Pliskova on the famous second Monday at the All-England Club.
- To follow the matches live, see the men’s and women’s draws, we recommend that you visit the official tournament website.
- Follow all our Wimbledon news here.