into your inbox
Thousands have already subscribedy
Top seed Sakkari made to work by Rus for last-eight spot in Parma
Maria Sakkari won against Arantxa Rus 3-6, 6-2, 6-3 on Wednesday and will face Belgian Maryna Zanevska in the next round
(Zuma/Panoramic) Maria Sakkari fires a forehand
Top seed Maria Sakkari was made to work for her place in the last eight of the Parma Open as she defeated Dutchwoman Arantxa Rus 3-6, 6-2, 6-3 at the Tennis Club Parma on Wednesday afternoon.
Greece’s Sakkari, ranked No 7, will face Belgian Maryna Zanevska next.
The Greek won against Ukrainian qualifier Kateryna Baindl (6-7 (2), 6-2, 6-3) in the previous round.
In the first round, Rus, ranked No 114, won against Hungarian Panna Udvardy (7-5, 6-3).
Parma WTA 250, other second-round results (Tennis Club Parma, clay, EUR 203.204, most recent results first):
- Matilde Paoletti vs. Irina-Camelia Begu
- Jasmine Paolini vs. Elisabetta Cocciaretto
- Lauren Davis beat Sara Sorribes Tormo: 3-6, 6-4, 7-5
- Ana Bogdan (6) beat Anna Karolina Schmiedlova (Q): 6-2, 3-6, 6-3
- Mayar Sherif beat Simona Waltert (Q): 6-3, 7-6 (1)
- Danka Kovinic beat Sloane Stephens (4): 7-5, 2-6, 7-5
- Maryna Zanevska beat Dalma Galfi: 6-1, 6-3