into your inbox
Thousands have already subscribedy
Adelaide International 1: Popyrin maintains form to advance to last eight
Alexei Popyrin won against Marcos Giron 4-6, 6-4, 6-3 on Wednesday and will face Japanese Yoshihito Nishioka in the next round
Australian Alexei Popyrin defeated American Marcos Giron 4-6, 6-4, 6-3 to reach the quarter-finals of the Adelaide International 1 at Memorial Drive Tennis Centre on Wednesday.
Popyrin, ranked No 120, will face Japanese Yoshihito Nishioka next.
Ahead of his victory, the Australian won against Canadian Felix Auger-Aliassime, the second seed (6-4, 7-6 (5)).
Giron, ranked No 61, edged out Frenchman Richard Gasquet (7-6 (5), 6-7 (6), 7-5) in the previous round of the Adelaide 1 tournament.
Adelaide ATP250, other second-round results (Memorial Drive Tennis Centre, hard, USD 642.735, most recent results first):
- Jannik Sinner vs. Thanasi Kokkinakis
- Sebastian Korda vs. Roberto Bautista Agut
- Novak Djokovic vs. Quentin Halys
- Roman Safiullin vs. Denis Shapovalov
- Daniil Medvedev (3) beat Miomir Kecmanovic: 6-0, 6-3
- Yoshihito Nishioka beat Mackenzie McDonald: 6-4, 6-3
- Karen Khachanov (8) beat Jack Draper: 6-4, 6-2