into your inbox
Thousands have already subscribedy
After a troubled start to 2023, American Eubanks upsets defending champ Humbert in Auckland
Christopher Eubanks will face former top 10 player David Goffin in the next round
American qualifier Christopher Eubanks moved into the second round of the Auckland Open with an upset win over French wildcard Ugo Humbert 7-6 (4), 7-6 (3) at the ASB Tennis Centre on Tuesday.
Eubanks had come through the qualifying draw and has now won three matches to start the 2023 season after pulling out of the ATP Pune Open last week due to breathing difficulties after he arrived in India.
Eubanks, who had a difficult start to the season as he recounted in a detailed Twitter thread which include asthma concerns, long flights with multiple layovers and screaming babies, and lost baggage, has received the American reciprocal wild card for the Australian Open next month.
Eubanks, ranked No 123, will face Belgian David Goffin next.
Auckland ATP 250, other first-round results (ASB Tennis Centre, hard, most recent results first):
- Marcos Giron beat Federico Coria (LL): 6-7 (5), 6-4, 7-5
- Gregoire Barrere (Q) beat John Isner (6): 6-7 (3), 7-6 (5), 6-3
- J.J. Wolf beat Adrian Mannarino (8): 6-4, 7-6 (4)
- Richard Gasquet beat Kiranpal Pannu (WC): 6-3, 6-1
- Jenson Brooksby beat Fabio Fognini: 6-7 (2), 6-1, 6-3
- David Goffin beat Alexander Bublik (5): 6-3, 6-4
- Constant Lestienne beat Pedro Cachin: 6-3, 6-1
- Jaume Munar vs. Laslo Djere
- Sebastian Baez vs. Ben Shelton
- Quentin Halys beat Alex Molcan: 6-3, 6-4
- Jiri Lehecka vs. Thiago Monteiro