into your inbox
Thousand have already subscribedy
Isner wins another third-set tiebreaker, advances past Korda into quarters
John Isner held off Sebastian Korda in three tight sets on Thursday evening in Cincinnati. He will play Greek Stefanos Tsitsipas, the No 4 seed, in the next round.
John Isner edged out wildcard Sebastian Korda 7-6(3), 1-6, 7-6(4) to move into the quarter-finals of the Cincinnati Masters on Thursday evening. Isner fired 20 aces to advance after two hours and five minutes.
Tiebreakers, of course, are nothing new for Isner — in terms of both his entire career and this week in Cincinnati. The 37-year-old opened with a 7-6(11), 3-6, 7-6(4) victory over Benjamin Bonzi and then he defeated doubles partner Hubert Hurkacz 7-6(5), 6-7(5), 6-2.
Isner, ranked No 50, will play fourth-seeded Greek Stefanos Tsitsipas on Friday.
Cincinnati Masters 1000, other round of 16 results:
- Marin Čilić vs. Carlos Alcaraz
- Felix Auger-Aliassime vs. Jannik Sinner
- Ben Shelton vs. Cameron Norrie
- Borna Coric beat Roberto Bautista Agut (15): 6-2, 6-3
- Stefanos Tsitsipas beat Diego Schwartzman (13): 6-3, 6-3
- Daniil Medvedev (1) beat Denis Shapovalov: 7-5, 7-5
- Taylor Fritz (11) beat Andrey Rublev (6): 6-7 (4), 6-2, 7-5