Murray fights past Wawrinka in duel of slam champions to reach Cincy second round
Andy Murray edged out Stan Wawrinka 7-6(3), 5-7, 7-5 on Monday afternoon in Cincinnati. He will face No 9 seed Cameron Norrie in an all-British second-round showdown.
The Western & Southern Open first-round showdown between Andy Murray and Stan Wawrinka was hailed as the tournament’s marquee matchup.
It certainly did not disappoint.
In a battle featuring three-time Grand Slam champions, Murray outlasted Wawrinka 7-6(3), 5-7, 7-5 after two hours and 58 minutes to advance at the Linder Tennis Family Center on Monday afternoon. The 35-year-old Scot won 109 total points to Wawrinka’s 106 in a contest that could hardly have been more competitive.
I was just fighting, trying to find a way through.Andy Murray
“The court is pretty lively when the weather is like this,” Murray explained. “Physically I feel tired. I had some issues with cramp during the match, the same as (in) Washington, so that is something I need to get on top of.
“I tried to take the ball on a little more and finish points at the net. I wasn’t that successful when I came up, but the intention was there. I was a little more offensive on the second-serve return. Last game I was just fighting, trying to find a way through.”
Norrie next for Murray in all-British affair
Next up for Murray is a second-round matchup with fellow Brit Cameron Norrie. The No 9 seed also needed three sets on Monday, as he held off Holger Rune 7-6(5), 4-6, 6-4 after two hours and 33 minutes.
Cincinnati Masters 1000, other first-round matches and results:
- Filip Krajinovic vs. Daniel Evans
- Pablo Carreno Busta vs. Miomir Kecmanovic
- Lorenzo Sonego vs. Ben Shelton
- Nick Kyrgios vs. Alejandro Davidovich Fokina
- Albert Ramos-Vinolas vs. Fabio Fognini
- Taylor Fritz vs. Sebastian Baez
- Borna Coric vs. Lorenzo Musetti
- Thanasi Kokkinakis vs. Jannik Sinner
- Henri Laaksonen vs. Alex De Minaur
- Tommy Paul vs. Jenson Brooksby
- Denis Shapovalov vs. Grigor Dimitrov
- Matteo Berrettini vs. Frances Tiafoe
- Karen Khachanov vs. Sebastian Korda
- Marcos Giron vs. David Goffin
- Marin Čilić (14) beat Jaume Munar (Q): 6-3, 6-3
- Cameron Norrie beat Holger Rune: 7-6(5), 4-6, 6-4
- John Isner beat Benjamin Bonzi: 7-6(11), 3-6, 7-6 (4)
- Emil Ruusuvuori beat J.J. Wolf (WC): 7-6(2), 6-2
- Roberto Bautista Agut (15) beat Francisco Cerundolo: 6-7(5), 6-4, 6-2
- Diego Schwartzman (13) beat Alex Molcan: 5-7, 6-4, 6-2
- Aslan Karatsev beat Brandon Nakashima: 7-5, 7-5
- Mackenzie McDonald (WC) beat Nikoloz Basilashvili: 6-0, 6-1
- Botic van de Zandschulp beat Maxime Cressy: 6-2, 4-6, 6-4