into your inbox
Thousands have already subscribedy
Cordoba Open: Sousa moves into quarter-finals
João Sousa beat Cristian Garin 7-5, 7-6 (6) on Thursday evening. He’ll face the winner of the match between Serb Dusan Lajovic and Spaniard Albert Ramos-Vinolas, the No 3 seed, in the next round
Portuguese João Sousa advanced to the last eight of the Cordoba Open by defeating Chilean Cristian Garin 7-5, 7-6 (6) at the Estadio Mario Alberto Kempes on Thursday evening.
Sousa, ranked No 162, will face the winner of the match between Serb Dusan Lajovic and Spaniard Albert Ramos-Vinolas, the No 3 seed, next.
In the previous round of the Cordoba tournament, the 33-year-old Portuguese edged out Argentinian Tomas Martin Etcheverry (3-6, 7-6 (5), 6-4).
Garin, ranked No 103, won against Spaniard Pedro Martinez, the No 7 seed (7-6 (3), 2-6, 6-0).
Cordoba ATP250, other second-round results (Estadio Mario Alberto Kempes, clay, USD 642.735, most recent results first):
- Diego Schwartzman vs. Juan Manuel Cerundolo: thursday in Cordoba
- Federico Delbonis vs. Francisco Cerundolo: thursday in Cordoba
- Dusan Lajovic vs. Albert Ramos-Vinolas: thursday in Cordoba
- Guido Pella vs. Hugo Dellien: thursday in Cordoba
- Federico Coria (6) beat Marco Cecchinato: 6-3, 3-1 ret.
- Sebastian Baez (4) beat Luciano Darderi: 6-3, 6-4
- Tomas Barrios Vera (WC) beat Bernabe Zapata Miralles (8): 5-7, 6-4, 6-3