Hubert Hurkacz wins Miami Open against Jannik Sinner
Hubert Hurkacz defeated Jannik Sinner (7-6, 6-4) in the 2021 Miami final and won his first Masters 1000.
Here are some key facts on Hubert Hurkacz’s run in Miami :
- Hurkacz will be #16 at the ATP ranking on Monday thanks to his result in Miami. He was #37 after setting new career-high ranking 10 times in 2019 and 15 times in 2018. He ended 2017 as #236, 2018 as #86, 2019 as #37 and 2020 as #34.
- Hurkacz has defeated back-to-back Top 10 opponents, No 5 Stefanos Tsitsipas in quarter-finals and No 8 Andrey Rublev in semi-final. He had also beaten Denis Shapovalov before that.
- He is the first Polish player to win a Masters 1000 event. He was the second Pole to reach an ATP Masters 1000 final after Jerzy Janowicz, who was a finalist in 2012 Paris-Bercy (lost to David Ferrer).
- He is the second Polish tour-level champion in Open Era. Wojtek Fibak won 15 titles between 1976 ans 1982). Hurkacz spoke about Fibak after his semi-final :
“He was like an amazing player, he achieved so much, and he has plenty of experience being like coaching clients for many years. He’s super knowledgeable. He’s always like trying to say something nice to me and also about tennis. It’s really great that we have such a person with a lot of knowledge in Polish tennis.
At the moment Poland to have Iga (Swiatek), Lukasz Kubot who has been winning Grand Slams, Australian Open and Wimbledon in doubles. Yeah, also like myself hopefully like we are inspiring kids and there are plenty of younger guys like Kamil Majchrzak, Kacper Zuk, and also like couple of guys playing doubles like Jan Zielinski, Szymon Walkow. Those guys are, I mean, hopefully like pumped by the results that we are doing and they see that it’s possible like to be there, to be at those events and to play deep in them.”
- His previous best result in a Masters 1000 event was a quarter-final in Indian Wells in 2019. Hurkacz is 3-0 in ATP Tour finals after his 2019 Winstom Salem trophy and his 2021 Delray Beach victory.
- Hurkacz, who captured his second career ATP Tour title in nearby Delray Beach in January (defeated Sebastian Korda), is 10-0 in Florida this season. He is the second player to reach Delray Beach and Miami finals in the same year. In 2001, Jan-Michael Gambill won the Delray Beach title (defeated Xavier Malisse) and reached the Miami final (lost to Agassi).
- Hubert Hurkacz began playing tennis at the age of 5. Watching his mother play tennis made him want to do the same thing.
- Hubert Hurkacz turned professional in 2015. He played his first match in a Davis Cup tie in 2016 against Argentina. Then ranked No 602, he played Renzo Olivo, the world No 167, in a dead rubber. On the Tour, his first success came in 2018, in the first round at Roland-Garros, where he beat the American, Tennys Sandgren. Hurkacz won his first ATP Tour title in Winston-Salem in 2019