into your inbox
Thousands have already subscribedy
Third seed Ruud upset by Garin in Indian Wells
The Norwegian has not made it past the last 16 in any tournament so far in 2023
Norway’s Casper Ruud suffered another early defeat as he was beaten 6-4, 7-6 (2) by Cristian Garin of Chile in the third round of the BNP Paribas Open in Indian Wells on Sunday.
Garin, a former top 20 player now ranked No 97, will face the winner of the match between Russian Karen Khachanov, the No 13 seed, and Spaniard Alejandro Davidovich Fokina, the No 23 seed, next.
World No 4 Ruud, who took February off after an exhausting 2022, has not made it past the last 16 in any event so far in 2023. For Garin, it was his first win over a top 10 player since 2021.
Ruud sits just 95th in the ATP Race and now heads to Miami, where he defends 600 points from reaching the final last year.
Earlier in the tournament, the Chilean won against Colombian Daniel Elahi Galan (6-4, 6-2) and Japanese Yoshihito Nishioka, the No 29 seed (6-4, 6-0).
Ruud, ranked No 4, won against Argentinian Diego Schwartzman (6-2, 6-3) in the previous round.
Indian Wells Masters, other third-round results (Indian Wells Tennis Garden, hard, USD 8.800.000, most recent results first):
- Stan Wawrinka vs. Holger Rune
- Jannik Sinner vs. Adrian Mannarino
- Alex Molcan vs. Marton Fucsovics
- Taylor Fritz vs. Sebastian Baez
- Francisco Cerundolo vs. Felix Auger-Aliassime
- Hubert Hurkacz vs. Tommy Paul
- Jack Draper vs. Andy Murray
- Carlos Alcaraz vs. Tallon Griekspoor
- Alejandro Tabilo vs. Jordan Thompson
- Daniil Medvedev vs. Ilya Ivashka
- Frances Tiafoe vs. Jason Kubler
- Andrey Rublev vs. Ugo Humbert
- Karen Khachanov vs. Alejandro Davidovich Fokina
- Emil Ruusuvuori vs. Alexander Zverev
- Taro Daniel vs. Cameron Norrie: sunday