into your inbox
Thousands have already subscribedy
Miami Masters: Brilliant Alcaraz defeats Paul to advance to quarter-finals
Carlos Alcaraz defeated Tommy Paul in straight sets on Tuesday evening and will face American Taylor Fritz in the Miami Masters 1000 quarter-finals.
He is strong, maybe more than ever. Spaniard Carlos Alcaraz, the top seed, moved into the quarter-finals of the Miami Masters by defeating American Tommy Paul, the No 16 seed, 6-4, 6-4 at the Hard Rock Stadium on Tuesday.
Alcaraz, trophy holder and ranked No 1, will face American Taylor Fritz, the No 9 seed, next. Fritz defeated Holger Rune (N.7) earlier this Tuesday.
It was Alcaraz’ first win against Paul. The American held a 1-0 record head-to-head against Carlos Alcaraz, with Paul winning their only matchup in Montreal last year.
The Sunshine Double without losing a set ?
Alcaraz still hasn’t lost a set in Florida. Ahead of his victory, the 19-year-old Spaniard defeated Argentine Facundo Bagnis (6-0, 6-2) and Serb Dusan Lajovic (6-0, 7-6 (5)).
After not dropping a set in Indian Wells and winning his two opening games at Miami in straight sets,
Alcaraz can become the male first player to win the Sunshine Double without dropping a set.
Paul, ranked No 19, edged out Swiss Marc-Andrea Huesler (5-7, 6-3, 6-4) and beat Spaniard Alejandro Davidovich Fokina, the No 20 seed (6-3, 7-5) earlier in the tournament.
Miami Masters, other last 16 results (Hard Rock Stadium, hard, USD 8.800.000, most recent results first):
- Quentin Halys vs. Daniil Medvedev : Tuesday in Miami
- Francisco Cerundolo vs. Lorenzo Sonego : Tuesday in Miami
- Adrian Mannarino vs. Christopher Eubanks : Tuesday in Miami
- Karen Khachanov vs. Stefanos Tsitsipas: tuesday : Tuesday in Miami
- Emil Ruusuvuori beat Botic van de Zandschulp (26): 4-6, 6-4, 7-5
- Taylor Fritz beat Holger Rune (7): 6-3, 6-4
- Jannik Sinner (10) beat Andrey Rublev (6): 6-2, 6-4