into your inbox
Thousands have already subscribedy
Rome Masters: World No 101 Hanfmann takes out Rublev
Yannick Hanfmann defeated Andrey Rublev 7-6 (5), 4-6, 6-3 on Tuesday. He’ll face the winner of the match between German Alexander Zverev, the No 19 seed, and Russian Daniil Medvedev, the No 3 seed, in the next round
German qualifier Yannick Hanfmann reached the quarter-finals of the Rome Masters by winning against Russian Andrey Rublev, the No 6 seed, 7-6 (5), 4-6, 6-3 at the Foro Italico on Tuesday.
Hanfmann, ranked No 101, will play the winner of the match between German Alexander Zverev, the No 19 seed, and Russian Daniil Medvedev, the No 3 seed, next.
It will be his maiden Masters 1000 quarter-final – but this is also the fourth straight Masters event in which a qualifier has reached the last eight.
The German defeated Chilean Nicolas Jarry (6-4, 6-4), American Taylor Fritz, the No 9 seed (6-4, 6-1) and Italian Marco Cecchinato (6-4, 4-6, 6-3) earlier in the tournament.
In the previous rounds of the Italian Open, Rublev, ranked No 6, won against Slovak Alex Molcan (6-3, 6-4) and Spaniard Alejandro Davidovich Fokina, the No 27 seed (7-6 (8), 6-3).
Rome Masters, other last 16 results (Foro Italico, clay, EUR 7.705.780, most recent results first):
- Borna Coric vs. Fabian Marozsan
- Stefanos Tsitsipas vs. Lorenzo Musetti
- Alexander Zverev vs. Daniil Medvedev
- Francisco Cerundolo (24) beat Jannik Sinner (8): 6-7 (3), 6-2, 6-2
- Casper Ruud (4) beat Laslo Djere: 6-1, 6-3
- Novak Djokovic (1) beat Cameron Norrie (13): 6-3, 6-4
- Holger Rune (7) beat Alexei Popyrin (Q): 6-4, 5-7, 6-4