Halep holds off Muguruza in Rome semi-final thriller
- 20 Sep 2020
Internazionali BNL d’Italia semi-final
Halep d. Muguruza 6-3, 4-6, 6-4
- Key info: There were 16 service breaks — nine for Halep and seven for Muguruza
- You will also learn: This is not the first time Halep has been one win away from the Rome title
- Why you should read this story: This was perhaps her toughest test in her current 13-match winning streak
Seeking her first title at the Internazionali BNL d’Italia, Simona Halep scraped past Garbine Muguruza for a three-set victory during semi-final action on Sunday afternoon. Halep broke Muguruza’s serve a whopping nine times to prevail in two hours and 17 minutes, doing so in front of no more than 1,000 fans in attendance.
Rome’s No 1 seed awaits either Karolina Pliskova or Marketa Vondrousaova in Monday’s championship match. It will mark Halep’s third appearance in the final of this event, having previously finished runner-up in 2017 and 2018 (both times to Elina Svitolina).
A roller-coaster ride
Although Halep led by at least one break in every set, it was never easy for the 28-year-old. She raced to a 5-1 lead in the opening frame of play, watched Muguruza take the next two games, and then finished it off in appropriate fashion with her third break of the day at 5-3. Muguruza was seemingly on her way to a quick defeat when she dropped serve again to trail 3-1 in the second, but the 17th-ranked Spaniard had other ideas. She won all of Halep’s next three service games, so it did not even matter that she donated her own serve again at 2-3. A rare and surprising love hold for Muguruza at 5-4 set the stage for another see-saw affair in the third set.
Halep promptly surged to the same 5-1 advantage she had enjoyed in the first set. However, this time it was even more difficult to close it out. Muguruza again stormed back, recovering both of the breaks for 4-5. Of course, this contest ended in the only way it could: with a break. Halep earned a ninth and final scalp of her opponent’s serve to take the decider 6-4.
The No.1 seed defeats Muguruza 6-3, 4-6, 6-4 in a truly enthralling encounter. pic.twitter.com/6SpXNxq8tg
— wta (@WTA) September 20, 2020
— Internazionali Bnl (@InteBNLdItalia) September 20, 2020
Halep hot streak
Halep has now won 13 matches in a row, having captured the Dubai title prior to the COVID-19 pandemic before lifting the Prague trophy following tennis’ five-month hiatus. She is now 3-0 lifetime against Muguruza on clay and this gained her at least some measure of revenge for a 2020 Australian Open semi-final loss to the 26-year-old.
- Also read: Schwartzman stuns Nadal in straight sets to reach semi-finals
- Also read: In pictures: Nadal’s 11 clay-court losses dating back to Roland-Garros 2015
- Also read: Shapovalov scores quarter-final victory over Dimitrov at Rome Masters
- Also read: Vondrousova knocks off Svitolina, Pliskova bagels Mertens