WTA announces schedule for first half of 2021
- 05 Jan 2021
The WTA has announced its provisional 2021 calendar running up to the end of Wimbledon – going beyond the tentative schedule revealed by the ATP.
It opens with the Abu Dhabi WTA Women’s Tennis Open, currently up and running, and goes up to the second week of July, when the Championships conclude.
It features four WTA 1000 events – in Dubai, Miami, Madrid, and Rome – and is largely similar to the usual schedule, minus Indian Wells, which had already confirmed it would not be running in March.
The schedule until July is as follows:
- Jan 4: Abu Dhabi
- Jan 10: Australian Open qualifying, Dubai
- Feb 1: Melbourne 1, Melbourne 2
- Feb 8: Australian Open
- Feb 15: Melbourne (WTA 250)
- Feb 22: Australia (WTA 500)
- Mar 1: Doha, Lyon
- Mar 8: Dubai, Guadalajara
- Mar 15: St Petersburg, Monterrey
- Mar 22: Miami
- Apr 5: Charleston, Bogota
- Apr 12: Billie Jean King Cup Finals 2020 and play-offs, Anning
- Apr 19: Stuttgart, Istanbul
- Apr 26: Madrid
- May 10: Rome
- May 17: Strasbourg, Rabat, Cologne
- May 23: Roland-Garros
- Jun 7: Nottingham, S’Hertogenbosch
- Jun 14: Berlin, Birmingham
- Jun 21: Eastbourne, Bad Homburg
- Jun 28: Wimbledon
The WTA added that the schedule for the rest of the year would be released in due course, and mentioned specifically the forthcoming plans for the Shiseido WTA Finals Shenzhen, which were cancelled in 2020 amidst the coronavirus pandemic.