Why Djokovic is “just built differently”, satisfaction and disappointment in Melbourne – Match Points #44 podcast edition
In the latest episode of Match Points, our panel discuss the Australian Open, from Novak Djokovic’s 10th title to Aryna Sabalenka, the new champion on the women’s side.
The 2023 Australian Open ended with a 10th title for Novak Djokovic in the men’s draw and a first Grand Slam title for Aryna Sabalenka in the women’s draw. In the latest episode of our Match Points show, hosted by Josh Cohen, our experts Marion Bartoli and Ben Rothenberg analysed the first major of the season.
For Rothenberg, the two biggest disappointments of the Australian Open were the top two seeds in the men’s draw, Rafael Nadal and Casper Ruud, who were both eliminated in the second round. The journalist even says he does not see the Spaniard as capable of winning another Grand Slam title, while Marion Bartoli believes he can win again at Roland-Garros.
On the women’s side, the 2013 Wimbledon winner highlighted her disappointment with Frenchwoman Caroline Garcia, who she expected to win in Melbourne. Bartoli also spoke of her admiration for Novak Djokovic, who showed that he remains ahead of the field and who went all the way despite his injury.
Our two experts were also asked about the new Netflix series, Break Point, whose first five episodes were released on January 13, 2023.
Key moments from our podcast:
- 1’05: Marion Bartoli explains that this Australian Open 2023 was not good for French fans but was overall very interesting, especially with the victory of Novak Djokovic.
- 3’25 : For the journalist Ben Rothenberg, the tournament was rather disappointing except at the end with two great finals. He says that Andy Murray was the most interesting to follow in the first week.
- 8’30 : They suggest that there were no great men’s matches during this Australian Open, mostly because of the early defeats of Rafael Nadal, Daniil Medvedev or Casper Ruud.
- 10′ : Magda Linette is the most pleasant surprise of the tournament according to Rothenberg.
- 11′ : Marion Bartoli explains that Linda Fruhvirtova’s performance, and also her sister Brenda, were a good surprise for her at the Australian Open.
- 15′: The winner of Wimbledon 2023 analyses the level of women’s tennis. Iga Swiatek, world No 1, still has weaknesses in her game that Serena Williams, Justina Henin or Amélie Mauresmo did not have at their best.
- 21′: For Rothenberg, the Netflix series Break Point can’t be bad for tennis but hasn’t had much success so far, according to the numbers.
- 30′: Our experts give their opinion on the fact that Djokovic won the Australian Open despite his injury. For Rothenberg, it proves that the old generation is stronger than the new one. Bartoli explains that the Serbian is not made of the same stuff as the others.
- 33′: Will Nadal win another Grand Slam? For Rothenberg, the answer is no. Bartoli still believes it’s possible: one last Roland Garros.