Auger-Aliassime needs five sets to score first win at Roland-Garros
Felix Auger-Aliassime rallied to beat Juan Pablo Varillas Patino-Samudio in five sets and score his first win in three attempts at the French Open
Canadian Felix Auger-Aliassime produced a stunning comeback, coming from two-sets-to-love down, to defeat Peruvian Juan Pablo Varillas 2-6, 2-6, 6-1, 6-3, 6-3 and reach the second round of Roland-Garros in Paris on Sunday.
Auger-Aliassime, ranked No 9, will face the winner of the match between Argentinian Camilo Ugo Carabelli and Russian Aslan Karatsev in the second round.
It also marked a first career win at Roland-Garros for the Canadian, who is now being coached by Toni Nadal, having lost in the first round in 2020 and 2021.
Varillas, ranked No 122, had won three matches in the qualifying event to reach the main draw.
Auger-Aliassime has reached at least the quarter-finals at the last three Grand Slams, including the semi-finals at Wimbledon, and will be hoping to make it four in a row in Paris this fortnight.
Paris (Grand Slam): Other first-round results (Stade Roland-Garros, clay):
- Pablo Cuevas beat Jenson Brooksby: 6-2, 6-1, 6-2
- Botic van de Zandschulp beat Pavel Kotov: 6-3, 3-6, 6-3, 6-2
- Gregoire Barrere beat Taro Daniel: 3-6, 6-2, 0-6, 6-3, 6-4
- Diego Schwartzman beat Andrey Kuznetsov: 6-3, 1-6, 6-4, 6-2
- Hugo Dellien beat Dominic Thiem: 6-3, 6-2, 6-4
- Jaume Munar beat Daniel Altmaier: 6-1, 6-3, 4-6, 6-3
- Borna Coric beat Carlos Taberner: 3-6, 6-2, 6-3, 6-1
- Grigor Dimitrov beat Marcos Giron: 6-1, 6-1, 6-1
- Aljaz Bedene beat Christopher O’Connell: 6-2, 6-4, 6-7 , 6-1