Roland-Garros: Former finalist Stephens upsets Cirstea to reach third round
Sloane Stephens beaten Sorana Cirstea 3-6, 6-2, 6-0 on Wednesday and will play the winner of the match between Colombian Maria Camila Osorio Serrano and Frenchwoman Diane Parry in the third round
Stephens, ranked No 64, will play the winner of the match between Colombian Maria Camila Osorio Serrano and French teen Diane Parry, who upset defending champion and world No 2 Barbora Krejcikova in the first round.
It was Stephens’ second consecutive three-set win in Paris, after beating German qualifier Jule Niemeier 5-7, 6-4, 6-2 in the first round in Paris.
Stepehns, the 2017 US Open champion, had reached the Roland-Garros final in 2018, losing to Simona Halep in the final.
Paris (Grand Slam): Wednesday women’s second-round results (Stade Roland-Garros, clay, EUR 43.600.000)
- Leylah Fernandez (17) beat Katerina Siniakova: 6-3, 6-2
- Kaia Kanepi beat Beatriz Haddad Maia: 6-4, 6-4
- Elise Mertens beat Marie Bouzkova: walkover
- Cori Coco Gauff (18) beat Alison Van Uytvanck: 6-1, 7-6 
- Amanda Anisimova (27) beat Donna Vekic (Q): 6-4, 6-1
- Karolina Muchova beat Maria Sakkari (4): 7-6 , 7-6 
- Angelique Kerber (21) beat Elsa Jacquemot (WC): 6-1, 7-6 
- Jil Teichmann (23) beat Olga Danilovic (Q): 6-4, 6-1
- Victoria Azarenka (15) beat Andrea Petkovic: 6-1, 7-6 
- Aliaksandra Sasnovich beat Emma Raducanu (12): 3-6, 6-1, 6-1