Kvitova safely through to US Open third round after beating Kozlova
Two-time Wimbledon champion and US Open 6th seed Petra Kvitova came from a break down in the opening set against Kateryna Kozlova to breeze through the second set and advance to the second round in Flushing Meadows.
- US Open second round: Kvitova d. Kozlova 7-6, 6-2
- Key stats of the match: Kvitova is famous for her fearsome groundstrokes off either flank, blasting 33 winners and winning 89% of points off first serve
- You will also learn: Next up for Petra is a meeting with either Kirsten Flipkens or Jessica Pegula
- Why you should read this story: Kvitova is one of the favourites for the title but has never been past the QF of the US Open
Kvitova was surprisingly slow out of the blocks, going an early break down in the opening set and saving a set point at 4-5. But the range Czech possesses power in abundance off both flanks, and after breaking back to force a tie-break, she moved into another gear, winning the breaker 7-3 before cruising through the second 6-2.
— US Open Tennis (@usopen) September 2, 2020
“It was very difficult today, especially with my nerves, I felt very tired,” said Kvitova afterward. “I couldn’t move well and couldn’t swing as I wanted, but that is a grand slam. At the beginning of a tournament it is always like this, and I’m really happy that I found a way, I really had to fight back in the first set and started to be patient, and I never played her, which was challenging as well, but I’m glad to have won and she really played a great match.”
- Also read: Day 2 recap
- Also read: Williams survives opening round test against Ahn to advance
- Also read: Venus falls to Muchova in US Open first round
- Also read: Wednesday’s full order of play