into your inbox
Thousands have already subscribedy
Mérida Open: Cocciaretto books spot in quarter-finals
Elisabetta Cocciaretto won against Xinyu Wang 6-4, 6-2 on Wednesday night
Elisabetta Cocciaretto, 2020, © Panoramic
Mérida Open Akron •Round of 16 • completedSee draw
Italian Elisabetta Cocciaretto, the No 7 seed, moved into the last 8 of the Mérida Open by winning against Chinese Xinyu Wang 6-4, 6-2 at the Yucatan Country Club on Wednesday night.
Cocciaretto, ranked No 54, will face the winner of the match between Belgian Ysaline Bonaventure and Czech Katerina Siniakova, the No 4 seed, next.
In the previous round, the 22-year-old Italian defeated Swiss Viktorija Golubic (6-0, 6-3).
Wang, ranked No 67, won against Russian qualifier Elina Avanesyan (1-6, 6-2, 6-3).
Mérida WTA 250, other second-round results (Yucatan Country Club, hard, USD 259.303, most recent results first):
- Ysaline Bonaventure vs. Katerina Siniakova
- Varvara Gracheva vs. Sloane Stephens
- Magda Linette vs. Panna Udvardy
- Rebecca Peterson vs. Alycia Parks
- Camila Giorgi beat Nuria Parrizas Diaz: 7-6 (5), 6-2
- Catherine McNally beat Katie Volynets (WC): 6-3, 6-0
- Kimberly Birrell (Q) beat Xiyu Wang: 6-3, 6-2