into your inbox
Thousands have already subscribedy
Andreescu retires at Miami Open with nasty ankle injury
Bianca Andreescu was forced to retire with an ankle injury on Monday. Ekaterina Alexandrova thus advanced to the quarter-finals of the Miami Open.
Bianca Andreescu (Panoramic)
Miami Open presented by Itau •Round of 16 • completedSee draw
The injury bug has hit Bianca Andreescu yet again.
Andreescu was forced to retire from her fourth-round match at the Miami Open against Ekaterina Alexandrova when she rolled over on her left ankle in the third game of the second set. The Canadian remained on the ground for many minutes before being carted off in a wheelchair.
Andreescu had taken the first set in a tiebreaker; Andreescu led 2-0 in the second when it ended.
The Russian will play Czech Petra Kvitova, the No 15 seed, next.
Miami WTA 1000, other fourth-round results:
- Barbora Krejcikova vs. Aryna Sabalenka
- Petra Kvitova beat Varvara Gracheva (Q): 7-5, 7-6(5)
- Elena Rybakina (10) beat Elise Mertens: 6-4, 6-3
- Sorana Cirstea beat Marketa Vondrousova: 7-6(3), 6-4
- Jessica Pegula (3) beat Magda Linette (20): 6-1, 7-5
- Anastasia Potapova (27) beat Qinwen Zheng (23): 6-4, 7-6(4)
- Martina Trevisan (25) beat Jelena Ostapenko (24): 6-3, 6-3
You might also like this
“75 percent of what I’m capable of” – Bianca Andreescu believes she’s destined to hit a much higher level
Andreescu on Raducanu: “If she continues playing like this, she can definitely get back into the top 10”
“My purpose is to use tennis as a platform to help inspire others” – Andreescu