into your inbox
Thousands have already subscribedy
Linette takes three-time champion Azarenka to reach Miami round of 16
Magda Linette edged out Victoria Azarenka 7-6 (3), 2-6, 6-4 on Saturday evening and will face the winner of the match between No 3 seed Jessica Pegula and No 30 seed Danielle Collins in the next round
An excellent 2023 campaign continues for Poland’s Magda Linette. The world No 19 edged out three-time Miami champ Victoria Azarenka, the No 14 seed, 7-6 (3), 2-6, 6-4 to advance to the last 16 of the Miami Open at the Hard Rock Stadium on Saturday evening.
Linette, who entered Saturday’s clash with an 0-2 record against Azarenka, will play the winner of the match between No 3 seed Jessica Pegula and No 30 seed Danielle Collins next.
Linette, who recorded her 10th top 20 win on Saturday, has gone 7-6 vs the top 20 since the start of 2022 – she was 3-30 prior to the start of 2022 against the top 20.
The Pole defeated Russian Evgeniya Rodina (6-3, 6-4) in the previous round of the Miami tournament.
In the second round of the Miami tournament, Azarenka, ranked No 16, won against Italian Camila Giorgi (6-3, 6-1).
Miami WTA 1000, other third-round results (Hard Rock Stadium, hard, USD 8.800.000, most recent results first):
- Elena Rybakina vs. Paula Badosa
- Marie Bouzkova vs. Aryna Sabalenka
- Barbora Krejcikova vs. Madison Keys
- Karolina Pliskova vs. Marketa Vondrousova
- Sorana Cirstea vs. Karolina Muchova
- Magdalena Frech vs. Varvara Gracheva
- Petra Kvitova vs. Donna Vekic
- Ekaterina Alexandrova vs. Belinda Bencic
- Bianca Andreescu vs. Sofia Kenin
- Petra Martic vs. Elise Mertens
- Claire Liu vs. Martina Trevisan
- Jessica Pegula vs. Danielle Collins: saturday
- Anastasia Potapova (27) beat Coco Gauff (6): 6-7 (8), 7-5, 6-2
- Qinwen Zheng (23) beat Liudmila Samsonova (12): 5-7, 7-6 (5), 6-3
- Jelena Ostapenko (24) beat Beatriz Haddad Maia (13): 6-2, 4-6, 6-3