into your inbox
Thousands have already subscribedy
Sabalenka powers past Krejcikova into Miami quarter-finals
Aryna Sabalenka beat Barbora Krejcikova 6-3, 6-2 on Tuesday night and will face Romanian Sorana Cirstea in the next round
Aryna Sabalenka came up one win short of the BNP Paribas Open title, but she is looking like the Miami Open favourite — especially with Iga Swiatek not participating.
Sabalenka continued to roll at the second leg of the Sunshine Double, as she took care of Barbora Krejcikova 6-3, 6-2 to conclude fourth-round action on Monday night. The Belarusian, who lost to Elena Rybakina in the Indian Wells final, needed just one hour and six minutes to secure her quarter-final spot.
Sabalenka, ranked No 2, will play Romanian Sorana Cirstea next.
Earlier in the tournament she beat American Shelby Rogers (6-4, 6-3) and Czech Marie Bouzkova, the No 31 seed (6-1, 6-2).
Krejcikova, ranked No 13, advanced to the last 32 by defeating Aliaksandra Sasnovich (6-3, 6-2) and American Madison Keys, the No 19 seed (7-6(4), 6-3).
Miami WTA 1000, other fourth-round results:
- Ekaterina Alexandrova (18) beat Bianca Andreescu: 7-6, 0-2 ret.
- Petra Kvitova (15) beat Varvara Gracheva (Q): 7-5, 7-6 (5)
- Elena Rybakina (10) beat Elise Mertens: 6-4, 6-3
- Sorana Cirstea beat Marketa Vondrousova: 7-6 (3), 6-4
- Jessica Pegula (3) beat Magda Linette (20): 6-1, 7-5
- Anastasia Potapova (27) beat Qinwen Zheng (23): 6-4, 7-6 (4)
- Martina Trevisan (25) beat Jelena Ostapenko (24): 6-3, 6-3