into your inbox
Thousand have already subscribedy
Monastir Open: Liu upsets Siniakova to reach quarter-finals
Claire Liu won against Katerina Siniakova 7-5, 6-2 on Wednesday. She’ll play the winner of the match between Tunisian Ons Jabeur, the top seed, and Russian Evgeniya Rodina in the next round
American Claire Liu moved into the quarter-finals of the Monastir Open by winning against Czech Katerina Siniakova, the No 7 seed, 7-5, 6-2 at the Monastir Tennis Club on Wednesday.
Liu, ranked No 73, will face the winner of the match between Tunisian Ons Jabeur, the top seed, and Russian Evgeniya Rodina next.
The 22-year-old American beat Croat qualifier Ana Konjuh (6-3, 6-2) in the previous round of the Jasmin Open Tunisia.
In the previous round, Siniakova, ranked No 53, benefited from the abandonment of Frenchwoman Chloe Paquet (6-4, 4-0).
Monastir WTA 250, other second-round results (Monastir Tennis Club, hard, USD 251.750, most recent results first):
- Magdalena Frech vs. Veronika Kudermetova
- Anastasia Potapova vs. Tamara Zidansek
- Petra Martic vs. Moyuka Uchijima
- Ons Jabeur vs. Evgeniya Rodina
- Despina Papamichail vs. Elise Mertens
- Harriet Dart vs. Alize Cornet
- Lucrezia Stefanini vs. Diane Parry