into your inbox
Thousand have already subscribedy
Martincova reaches Ostrava quarter-finals after Kontaveit second-set retirement
Tereza Martincova benefited from the abandonment of Anett Kontaveit (7-6 (3), 1-0) on Thursday. She’ll play the winner of the match between Ekaterina Alexandrova and No 5 seed Daria Kasatkina in the next round
Czech wildcard Tereza Martincova advanced to the quarter-finals of the Ostrava Open when Estonian Anett Kontaveit, the No 3 seed, retired at the Ostravar Aréna on Thursday.
Martincova, ranked No 78, led 7-6 (3), 1-0 when Kontaveit, ranked No 3, pulled out on Thursday evening at the Ostravar Aréna.
The Czech will face the winner of the match between Ekaterina Alexandrova and No 5 seed Daria Kasatkina next.
In the previous round of the Ostrava, Tereza Martincova defeated Swiss Jil Teichmann (7-6 (1), 7-6 (5)).
Ostrava WTA 500, other second-round results:
- Ekaterina Alexandrova vs. Daria Kasatkina
- Catherine McNally (Q) beat Karolina Muchova (WC): 6-1, 3-6, 6-1
- Belinda Bencic vs. Barbora Krejcikova
- Alycia Parks (Q) beat Maria Sakkari (4): 5-7, 7-5, 7-5
- Elena Rybakina beat Aliaksandra Sasnovich: 6-7 (5), 6-4, 7-5
- Petra Kvitova (WC) beat Paula Badosa (2): 7-6 (4), 6-4
- Iga Swiatek (1) beat Ajla Tomljanovic (Q): 7-5, 2-2 ret.