Western & Southern Open: Pegula advances to third round
Fresh off a title in Montreal, Jessica Pegula continued her winning ways on Wednesday in Cincinnati. However, it wasn’t easy against Martina Trevisan.
American Jessica Pegula, the No 3 seed, defeated Italian qualifier Martina Trevisan 6-7 (2), 6-2, 6-3 to advance to the third round of the Western & Southern Open at the Linder Tennis Family Center in Cincinnati on Wednesday evening.
Pegula was making a quick turnaround after winning the biggest title of her career this past Sunday in Montreal.
“Actually physically and mentally I feel good,” the world No 3 commented, “but conditions are definitely different. It feels much different than last week. So I think I’m proud I was able to kind of adjust and find my way through it today, because it’s definitely playing much different and feels much different, and I just didn’t have a lot of time to adapt.
“But sometimes that’s what happens. So I’m glad I was able to figure it out today.”
Pegula will play the winner of the match between Elise Mertens and Marie Bouzkova.
Trevisan, ranked No 63, won against American Bernarda Pera (3-6, 6-1, 6-2) in the previous round of the Cincinnati tournament.
Cincinnati WTA 1000, other second-round results (Linder Tennis Family Center, hard, USD 2.788.468, most recent results first):
- Mayar Sherif vs. Coco Gauff
- Ann Li vs. Aryna Sabalenka
- Donna Vekic vs. Victoria Azarenka
- Elise Mertens vs. Marie Bouzkova
- Elena Rybakina vs. Jelena Ostapenko
- Jasmine Paolini vs. Cristina Bucsa
- Petra Kvitova vs. Linda Noskova
- Qinwen Zheng vs. Venus Williams
- Petra Martic vs. Karolina Muchova
- Maria Sakkari vs. Sorana Cirstea
- Iga Swiatek vs. Danielle Collins
- Marketa Vondrousova vs. Anastasia Potapova: wednesday
- Daria Kasatkina (14) beat Varvara Gracheva (LL): 6-3, 6-1
- Sloane Stephens beat Caroline Garcia (6): 4-6, 6-4, 6-4
- Ons Jabeur (5) beat Anhelina Kalinina: 6-3, 6-7 (2), 7-6 (2)