Cincinnati Masters: Hurkacz takes out fourth seed Tsitsipas to advance to quarter-finals
Hubert Hurkacz won against Stefanos Tsitsipas 6-3, 6-4 on Thursday evening. He’ll face Australian lucky loser Alexei Popyrin in the next round
Pole Hubert Hurkacz won against Greek Stefanos Tsitsipas, the No 4 seed, 6-3, 6-4 to reach the last 8 of the Cincinnati Masters at the Linder Tennis Family Center on Thursday evening.
Hurkacz, ranked No 20, will play Australian lucky loser Alexei Popyrin next.
The Pole edged out Australian qualifier Thanasi Kokkinakis (7-6 (2), 3-6, 7-6 (1)) and defeated Croat Borna Coric, the No 15 seed (5-7, 6-3, 6-3) ahead of his victory.
In the previous round of the Cincy Open, Tsitsipas, ranked No 4, beat American Ben Shelton (7-6 (3), 7-6 (2)).
Cincinnati Masters, other last 16 results (Linder Tennis Family Center, hard, USD 6.600.000, most recent results first):
- Gael Monfils vs. Novak Djokovic
- Dusan Lajovic vs. Taylor Fritz
- Stan Wawrinka vs. Max Purcell
- Carlos Alcaraz vs. Tommy Paul
- Mackenzie McDonald vs. Adrian Mannarino: thursday
- Alexander Zverev (16) beat Daniil Medvedev (3): 6-4, 5-7, 6-4
- Alexei Popyrin beat Emil Ruusuvuori: 6-2, 1-6, 6-3