Kyrgios quickly finishes off Opelka, advances to Washington, D.C. quarters
Nick Kyrgios has defeated three Americans in Washington, D.C. and will try to make it four when he faces Frances Tiafoe during quarter-final action later on Friday.
Nick Kyrgios defeated Reilly Opelka, the No 4 seed, 7-6(1), 6-2 to move into the last eight of the Citi Open at Rock Creek Park Tennis Center in Washington on Friday afternoon.
The Wimbledon runner-up needed a total of just one hour and 23 minutes to advance. He took the first set on Thursday night before play was halted early in the second by rain. Kyrgios seized two quick breaks when the match resumed and raced away with a routine victory.
— Tennis Channel (@TennisChannel) August 5, 2022
Kyrgios, ranked No 63, will face American Frances Tiafoe, the No 10 seed, next. It will be his fourth consecutive opponent from the host nation.
Earlier in the tournament the 63rd-ranked Australian beat American Marcos Giron 6-3, 6-2 and American Tommy Paul — the No 14 seed — 6-3, 6-4. Opelka, ranked No 17, edged out Denis Kudla 6-7(6), 6-4, 6-4 in his opening match.
Washington ATP 500, other last 16 results (Rock Creek Park Tennis Center, hard, USD 2.108.110, most recent results first):
- Grigor Dimitrov vs. Sebastian Korda: friday
- Frances Tiafoe beat Botic van de Zandschulp (8): 4-6, 6-2, 6-3
- Andrey Rublev (1) beat Maxime Cressy (13): 6-4, 7-6 (8)
- J.J. Wolf (WC) beat Holger Rune (9): 7-5, 4-6, 6-3
- Daniel Evans (16) beat Taylor Fritz (3): 3-6, 7-6 (6), 4-1 ret.
- Mikael Ymer beat Emil Ruusuvuori: 6-3, 6-7 (3), 6-4
- Yoshihito Nishioka beat Karen Khachanov (7): 7-6 (2), 7-6 (1)