Citi Open: Wolf into last eight after upsetting Rune
The surprises continue in Washington, D.C., where qualifier J.J. Wolf finds himself in the quarter-finals after taking out No 9 seed Holger Rune on Friday. Andrey Rublev is next for Wolf.
American wild card J.J. Wolf defeated Denmark’s Holger Rune 7-5, 4-6, 6-3 to move into the quarter-finals of the Citi Open at Rock Creek Park Tennis Center in Washington, D.C. on Friday afternoon. Wolf prevailed after two hours and 36 minutes for the best result of his season to date
JJ Wolf wins four straight games and beats Rune 7-5 4-6 6-3 to reach the @CitiOpen Quarterfinals!
— Tennis Channel (@TennisChannel) August 5, 2022
Wolf, ranked No 99, will face top-seeded Russian Andrey Rublev later on Friday.
Ahead of his big third-round victory, Wolf beat Japanese qualifier Taro Daniel 6-2, 6-3 and sixth-seeded Canadian Denis Shapovalov 6-2, 6-7(5), 6-3. Rune, ranked No 28, had previously defeated Frenchman Benoit Paire 6-3, 6-2.
Here are the other third-round results and schedule for the Washington, D.C. ATP 500:
- Nick Kyrgios vs. Reilly Opelka
- Grigor Dimitrov vs. Sebastian Korda: friday
- Botic van de Zandschulp vs. Frances Tiafoe: friday
- Andrey Rublev beat Maxime Cressy (13): 6-4, 7-6(8)
- Daniel Evans (16) beat Taylor Fritz (3): 3-6, 7-6 (6), 4-1, ret.
- Mikael Ymer beat Emil Ruusuvuori: 6-3, 6-7(3), 6-4
- Yoshihito Nishioka beat Karen Khachanov (7): 7-6(2), 7-6(1)