into your inbox
Thousands have already subscribedy
Dubai Open: Defending champion Rublev saves five match points and moves into quarter-finals
Andrey Rublev edged out Alejandro Davidovich Fokina 1-6, 7-6 (6), 7-6 (3) on Wednesday and will face Dutchman Botic van de Zandschulp in the next round
Russian Andrey Rublev, the second seed and the defending champion, edged out Spaniard Alejandro Davidovich Fokina 1-6, 7-6 (6), 7-6 (3) to advance to the last eight of the Dubai Open at the Aviation Club Tennis Centre on Wednesday.
Rublev, ranked No 6, saved five match points on his way to victory and will face Dutchman Botic van de Zandschulp next.
In the previous round, the Russian defeated Serb Filip Krajinovic (7-5, 6-2).
Davidovich Fokina, ranked No 29, won against Tunisian wildcard Malek Jaziri (6-2, 6-0) during the first round of the Dubai tournament.
Dubai ATP500, other second-round results (Aviation Club Tennis Centre, hard, USD 2.855.495, most recent results first):
- Daniil Medvedev vs. Alexander Bublik
- Thanasi Kokkinakis vs. Borna Coric
- Novak Djokovic vs. Tallon Griekspoor
- Pavel Kotov vs. Hubert Hurkacz
- Alexander Zverev vs. Christopher O’Connell: wednesday
- Lorenzo Sonego vs. Felix Auger-Aliassime: wednesday
- Botic van de Zandschulp beat Mikael Ymer: 3-6, 6-3, 6-3