into your inbox
Thousands have already subscribedy
Indian Wells Masters: ‘Focussed’ Ruud dismisses Schwartzman to book spot in third round
Casper Ruud beat Diego Schwartzman 6-2, 6-3 on Friday and will play Chilean qualifier Cristian Garin in the next round
Norwegian Casper Ruud, the No 3 seed, beat Argentinian Diego Schwartzman 6-2, 6-3 to advance to the third round of the Indian Wells Masters at the Indian Wells Tennis Garden on Friday.
Ruud, ranked No 4, will face Chilean qualifier Cristian Garin next.
This was Ruud’s first win in the second round so far this season, having lost at that stage in Auckland, at the Australian Open, and at Acapulco.
The Norwegian, who spent a part of his off-season in December playing an exhibition series in Latin American against Rafael Nadal, said he is feeling fresh after a training block he undertook in February.
“I feel a little bit better physically (than in Australia),” said Ruud. “In Acapulco (last week) I was struggling a little bit with the humidity, it was tough for me to feel great out there on court, but here it is a different climate. It’s dryer and feels easier for me to move around.”
“I feel like you do a training block for four or five weeks and you might not get the exact result you want right away. It might take a week, it might take a month, before you feel physically fresh and ready. I think I’m starting to get there. Mentally as well, I tried to be very focused today and not focus too much on his game. I focused on my game and what I needed to do and I did that well,” the Norwegian added.
In the previous round of the Indian Wells Tennis Masters, Schwartzman, ranked No 38, won against Federico Coria (6-1, 6-2).
Indian Wells Masters, other second-round results (Indian Wells Tennis Garden, hard, USD 8.800.000, most recent results first):
- Frances Tiafoe vs. Marcos Giron
- Andrey Rublev vs. Jiri Lehecka
- Daniil Medvedev vs. Brandon Nakashima
- Matteo Berrettini vs. Taro Daniel
- Mackenzie McDonald vs. Holger Rune
- Miomir Kecmanovic vs. Stan Wawrinka
- Adrian Mannarino vs. Lorenzo Musetti
- Jannik Sinner vs. Richard Gasquet
- Marton Fucsovics vs. Alex De Minaur
- Borna Coric vs. Alex Molcan
- Rinky Hijikata vs. Sebastian Baez
- Taylor Fritz vs. Ben Shelton
- Pedro Martinez vs. Felix Auger-Aliassime
- Francisco Cerundolo vs. Jack Sock
- Jan-Lennard Struff vs. Tommy Paul
- Hubert Hurkacz vs. Alexei Popyrin
- Andy Murray vs. Pablo Carreno Busta
- Daniel Evans vs. Jack Draper
- Guido Pella vs. Tallon Griekspoor
- Carlos Alcaraz vs. Thanasi Kokkinakis
- Karen Khachanov vs. Oscar Otte
- Maxime Cressy vs. Alejandro Tabilo
- Ugo Humbert vs. Denis Shapovalov
- Yibing Wu vs. Alejandro Davidovich Fokina
- Pedro Cachin vs. Alexander Zverev
- Jordan Thompson vs. Stefanos Tsitsipas
- Jason Kubler vs. Grigor Dimitrov
- Roberto Bautista Agut vs. Emil Ruusuvuori: friday
- Ilya Ivashka vs. Botic van de Zandschulp: friday
- Cameron Norrie (10) beat Tung-lin Wu: 6-2, 6-4
- Cristian Garin beat Yoshihito Nishioka (29): 6-4, 6-0