into your inbox
Thousand have already subscribedy
Los Cabos Open: Steve Johnson sets up quarter-final clash against Auger-Aliassime
Steve Johnson edged out Thanasi Kokkinakis 6-7 (3), 6-4, 6-4 to reach his second ATP-level quarter-final in 2022
American Steve Johnson advanced to the last eight of the Los Cabos Open by edging out Australian Thanasi Kokkinakis, the No 7 seed, 6-7 (3), 6-4, 6-4 at the Cabo del Mar Sports Center on Wednesday evening.
Steve Johnson, ranked No 92, will play Canadian Felix Auger-Aliassime, the second seed, next.
The American beat Argentinian lucky loser Gonzalo Villanueva (7-6 (1), 6-4) in the first round of the tournament.
In the previous round, Kokkinakis, ranked No 75, had defeated Spanish veteran Fernando Verdasco in three sets (6-3, 6-7 (5), 6-2).
Los Cabos ATP 250, other second-round matches (Cabo del Mar Sports Center, hard, USD 920.625, most recent results first):
- Chun-Hsin Tseng vs. Cameron Norrie: thursday
- Daniil Medvedev (1) beat Rinky Hijikata (Q): 6-4, 6-3
- Radu Albot beat Jason Kubler: 6-4, 6-2
- Ricardas Berankis beat Facundo Bagnis: 7-6 (4), 6-3
- Felix Auger-Aliassime beat Juan Alejandro Hernandez (WC): 6-3, 7-5
- Brandon Nakashima (6) beat Max Purcell (Q): 6-3, 6-3
- Miomir Kecmanovic (4) beat Jordan Thompson: 6-4, 6-2