into your inbox
Thousands have already subscribedy
Rune wins battle of rising stars with Shelton to advance in Acapulco
Holger Rune defeated Ben Shelton 6-7(7), 6-4, 6-2 on Monday night and will play the winner of the match between Portuguese Nuno Borges and American qualifier Nick Chappell in the next round.
In a matchup we will probably see a lot more of over the years, Holger Rune defeated Ben Shelton 6-7(7), 6-4, 6-2 to reach the second round of the Mexican Open at the Princess Mundo Imperial in Acapulco on Monday night. Shelton recovered from a slow start to advance after two hours and 20 minutes.
Runeway to success! 🛫@holgerrune2003 books a place in the round of 16, earning a 6-7(7) 6-4 6-2 victory over Shelton.@AbiertoTelcel | #CelebratingTennis30 pic.twitter.com/asqtNjBYKP— Tennis Channel (@TennisChannel) February 28, 2023
We already know that we won’t have to wait long to see Rune and Shelton on the same court at the same time. But in Indian Wells next month they will be on the same side of the net, as they are pairing up for doubles.
In their singles match on Monday, Rune broke serve four times and won 56 percent of his second-serve return points. Next up for the Dane is either Portugal’s Nuno Borges or American qualifier Nick Chappell next.
Acapulco ATP500, other first-round matchups and results:
- Alex De Minaur vs. Rodrigo Pacheco Mendez
- Jacopo Berrettini vs. Oscar Otte
- Daniel Altmaier vs. Brandon Nakashima
- Carlos Alcaraz vs. Mackenzie McDonald
- Nuno Borges vs. Nick Chappell
- Matteo Berrettini vs. Alex Molcan
- Cameron Norrie vs. Adrian Mannarino
- Guido Andreozzi vs. Casper Ruud
- Emilio Gomez vs. Tommy Paul: tuesday
- Taro Daniel vs. J.J. Wolf: tuesday
- Frances Tiafoe (6) beat Yoshihito Nishioka: 7-6(6), 6-4
- Feliciano López (WC) beat Christopher Eubanks: 7-6(3), 6-4
- Denis Shapovalov beat Miomir Kecmanovic: 6-7(4), 6-0, 7-5
- Taylor Fritz (3) beat John Isner: 3-6, 6-3, 6-4
- Michael Mmoh beat Marcos Giron: 7-6(3), 6-1