into your inbox
Thousands have already subscribedy
Montpellier Open: Davidovich Fokina through to second round after Humbert retires
Alejandro Davidovich Fokina benefited from the abandonment of Ugo Humbert (1-6, 7-6 (2)) on Wednesday and will play Quentin Halys in the next round
Spaniard Alejandro Davidovich Fokina, the No 5 seed, advanced to the second round of the Montpellier Open when French wildcard Ugo Humbert retired on Wednesday afternoon at the Sud de France Arena.
Davidovich Fokina, ranked No 32, led 1-6, 7-6 (2) when Humbert, ranked No 85, pulled out on Wednesday at the Sud de France Arena.
Humbert was trailing 1-3 in the second-set tiebreaker when he lost his footing and slammed into the ground, hitting his head to hit to court.
After a medical timeout, Humbert continued but lost the second set and then decided to retire from the match.
“I know him since we’re kids, I’m almost crying because I saw him cry, he flew on the court and I was like scared. During the first set he was killing me, I wanted to play a third set. He needs to focus on recovery, I hope he’s gonna play next week.”
The Spaniard will play Quentin Halys next.
Montpellier ATP250, other first-round results (Sud de France Arena, hard, EUR 562.815, most recent results first):
- Gregoire Barrere vs. Alexander Bublik
- Emil Ruusuvuori (7) beat Mikael Ymer: 6-4, 6-0
- Arthur Rinderknech beat Luca Nardi (Q): 6-4, 6-4
- Lorenzo Sonego beat Benjamin Bonzi (8): 6-3, 6-4
- Marc-Andrea Huesler beat Luca Van Assche (WC): 6-3, 3-6, 6-3
- Marton Fucsovics beat Geoffrey Blancaneaux (Q): 7-5, 5-7, 6-0
- Maxime Cressy beat Antoine Bellier (Q): 6-3, 6-2
- Quentin Halys beat Clement Chidekh (Q): 7-5, 2-6, 7-5
- Filip Krajinovic beat Aslan Karatsev: 3-6, 7-6 (7), 6-2
- Nikoloz Basilashvili beat Constant Lestienne: 6-7 (3), 7-5, 6-2
- Arthur Fils (WC) beat Richard Gasquet: 7-5, 7-5