into your inbox
Thousands have already subscribedy
Paris Masters: Third seed Ruud beats crowd favourite Gasquet to take place in last 16
Casper Ruud defeated Richard Gasquet 6-1, 7-6 (7) on Tuesday evening and will play the winner of the match between Italian Lorenzo Musetti and Georgian Nikoloz Basilashvili in the next round
Norwegian Casper Ruud, the No 3 seed, advanced to the last 16 of Paris Masters by defeating French wildcard Richard Gasquet 6-1, 7-6 (7) at the Accor Arena on Tuesday evening.
Ruud, ranked No 4, will face the winner of the match between Italian Lorenzo Musetti and Georgian Nikoloz Basilashvili next.
Gasquet was outplayed in the first set but with the help of the crowd in the second, he led 5-3 and though he was broken back, he forced Ruud to a tiebreak and had a set point at 7-6.
But the French Open and US Open runner-up held firm to take his place in the last 16.
In the previous round in Bercy, Gasquet, ranked No 76, won against Slovak Alex Molcan (6-3, 6-1).
Paris Masters 1000, other second-round results (Accor Arena, EUR 5.415.410, most recent results first):
- Corentin Moutet vs. Cameron Norrie
- Tommy Paul vs. Rafael Nadal
- Taylor Fritz vs. Gilles Simon
- Grigor Dimitrov vs. Fabio Fognini
- Carlos Alcaraz vs. Yoshihito Nishioka
- Mikael Ymer vs. Felix Auger-Aliassime
- Daniil Medvedev vs. Alex De Minaur
- Stefanos Tsitsipas vs. Daniel Evans
- Lorenzo Musetti vs. Nikoloz Basilashvili
- Jack Draper vs. Frances Tiafoe
- Karen Khachanov vs. Marc-Andrea Huesler
- Novak Djokovic (6) beat Maxime Cressy: 7-6 (1), 6-4
- Andrey Rublev (7) beat John Isner: 6-2, 6-3