into your inbox
into your inbox
Thousands have already subscribed
US Clay Court Championships: Purcell wins in rainy Houston, finally putting an end to the opening round after four days
Max Purcell won against Daniel Altmaier 6-4, 3-6, 6-3 on Friday evening and will face No 8 seed Tomas Martin Etcheverry in the next round
Australian Max Purcell defeated German Daniel Altmaier 6-4, 3-6, 6-3 to advance to the second round of the US Clay Court Championships at River Oaks Country Club in Houston on Friday evening.
Purcell, ranked No 86, will face No 8 seed Tomas Martin Etcheverry next.
Prior to Purcell’s victory, imminent rain forced the tournament to announce that the remainder of play would been canceled for the day. The tournament has completed one round of singles play, and will commence round of 16 action on Saturday.
Houston ATP250, other first-round results (River Oaks Country Club, clay, USD 642.735, most recent results first):
- Tomas Machac (Q) beat Jack Sock (WC): 6-2, 6-4
- Marcos Giron (7) beat Emilio Gomez: 6-0, 6-2
- Tomas Martin Etcheverry beat Juan Manuel Cerundolo: 6-3, 6-4
- Cristian Garin beat Hugo Dellien: 6-3, 6-0
- Yannick Hanfmann (Q) beat Yosuke Watanuki (Q): 6-4, 3-6, 6-2
- J.J. Wolf (5) beat Jordan Thompson: 6-3, 6-2
- Steve Johnson (WC) beat Facundo Bagnis: 7-6 (5), 1-6, 6-1
- Jason Kubler (6) beat Fernando Verdasco (WC): 7-6 (7), 6-0
- Gijs Brouwer beat Aleksandar Kovacevic: 6-4, 6-4
- Denis Kudla beat Aleksandar Vukic (Q): 6-4, 4-6, 6-4
- Daniel Elahi Galan beat Zhizhen Zhang: 6-2, 6-3