Zhuhai Open: Karatsev upends Murray to reach the quarter-finals
Aslan Karatsev won against Andy Murray 4-6, 6-3, 6-2 on Saturday. He’ll face the winner of the match between Australian qualifier Marc Polmans and second seed Cameron Norrie in the next round
Russian Aslan Karatsev reached the last 8 of the Zhuhai Open by winning against No 7 seed Andy Murray 4-6, 6-3, 6-2 at the Zhuhai Hengqin International Tennis Centre on Saturday.
Karatsev, ranked No 63, will face the winner of the match between Australian qualifier Marc Polmans and second seed Cameron Norrie next.
The Russian defeated Italian Matteo Arnaldi (6-7 (5), 7-6 (5), 6-2) in the previous round of the Zhuhai tournament.
During the first round of the Zhuhai tournament, Murray, ranked No 41, won against Chinese wildcard Ye Cong Mo (7-5, 6-3).
Zhuhai ATP250, other second-round results (Zhuhai Hengqin International Tennis Centre, hard, USD 981.785, most recent results first):
- Marc Polmans vs. Cameron Norrie
- Tomas Martin Etcheverry (5) beat Dalibor Svrcina: 6-2, 6-3
- Sebastian Korda (4) beat Alexandre Muller: 6-1, 2-6, 6-3
- Karen Khachanov (1) beat Alex Bolt (Q): 6-4, 6-4
- Mackenzie McDonald (6) beat Kimmer Coppejans: 4-6, 6-3, 6-2
- Jan-Lennard Struff (3) beat Cristian Garin: 6-3, 1-6, 6-4
- Yoshihito Nishioka (8) beat Lloyd Harris: 7-6 (4), 7-6 (5)