into your inbox
Thousands have already subscribedy
Yoshihito Nishioka edges McDonald for milestone win at Australian Open
Yoshihito Nishioka defeated Mackenzie McDonald 7-6 (6), 6-3, 6-2 on Friday night and will play the winner of the match between Russian Karen Khachanov, the No 18 seed, and American Frances Tiafoe, the No 16 seed, in the next round
Competing in a Grand Slam main draw for the 27th time, Yoshihito Nishioka has finally struck week two gold. The No 31 seed reached the last 16 at a major for the first time by powering past Rafael Nadal’s second-round vanquisher, American Mackenzie McDonald 7-6 (6), 6-3, 6-2 at Melbourne Park on Friday night.
Nishioka, ranked No 33, will play the winner of the match between Russian Karen Khachanov, the No 18 seed, and American Frances Tiafoe, the No 16 seed, next.
The Japanese beat Swede Mikael Ymer (6-4, 6-2, 7-5) and Czech qualifier Dalibor Svrcina (6-3, 6-4, 6-2) ahead of his victory.
Earlier in the tournament, McDonald, ranked No 65, won against Brandon Nakashima (7-6 (5), 7-6 (1), 1-6, 6-7 (10), 6-4) and Spaniard Rafael Nadal, the top seed (6-4, 6-4, 7-5).
Melbourne (Grand Slam), other third-round results (Melbourne Park, hard, USD 24.297.942, most recent results first):
- Andy Murray vs. Roberto Bautista Agut
- Alexei Popyrin vs. Ben Shelton
- Grigor Dimitrov vs. Novak Djokovic
- Tommy Paul vs. Jenson Brooksby
- J.J. Wolf vs. Michael Mmoh
- Benjamin Bonzi vs. Alex De Minaur
- Ugo Humbert vs. Holger Rune
- Andrey Rublev vs. Daniel Evans
- Sebastian Korda vs. Daniil Medvedev
- Hubert Hurkacz vs. Denis Shapovalov
- Karen Khachanov vs. Frances Tiafoe
- Cameron Norrie vs. Jiri Lehecka: friday
- Francisco Cerundolo vs. Felix Auger-Aliassime: friday
- Stefanos Tsitsipas (3) beat Tallon Griekspoor: 6-2, 7-6 (5), 6-3
- Jannik Sinner (15) beat Marton Fucsovics: 4-6, 4-6, 6-1, 6-2, 6-0