into your inbox
Thousands have already subscribedy
19-year-old Dane Rune through to Australian Open fourth round, fifth seed Rublev next
The Dane defeated Ugo Humbert 6-4, 6-2, 7-6 (5) to reach the round of 16 for the first time at Melbourne Park
Rune, who survived a fall on court early in the second set, needed two hours and 10 minutes to beat Humbert 6-4, 6-2, 7-6 (5) at Melbourne Park on Saturday.
Rune, ranked No 10 in the world, is playing in only his second Australian Open as a pro and lost in the first round in 2022.
The Dane, who won the Paris Masters at the end of the season, is yet to drop a set this tournament, having beaten Serb Filip Krajinovic (6-2, 6-3, 6-4) and American Maxime Cressy (7-5, 6-4, 6-4) in straight sets earlier in the week.
“I wake up super tired every day. I mean, I have a lot of energy as you saw when I play on the court. I think I use it in a very good way now. I think I’m using it on the positive, on the thing that I can actually — that can actually, you know, be good for me like in the shots, get energy there. You know, I mean, I think I manage my emotions very good today because obviously I was a bit afraid after I fell. But, you know, I check with the doctor on the court, and he said everything is — there is not — nothing to worry about right now. So I just keep playing. And, you know, we are in a Grand Slam, so nothing is going to stop me.”
He will meet Russian Andrey Rublev, the No 5 seed, next for a place in his second consecutive Grand Slam quarter-final. Rune had beaten Rublev during his rune to the Paris title in their only meeting on the pro tour so far.
Humbert, ranked No 106, had won over Richard Gasquet (6-3, 6-4, 6-3) and American lucky loser Denis Kudla (6-2, 6-7 (5), 6-2, 6-4) in his first two rounds.
Australian Open (Grand Slam), other third-round results (Melbourne Park, hard, USD 24,297,942, most recent results first):
- Andy Murray vs. Roberto Bautista Agut
- Alexei Popyrin vs. Ben Shelton
- Grigor Dimitrov vs. Novak Djokovic
- J.J. Wolf vs. Michael Mmoh
- Tommy Paul vs. Jenson Brooksby
- Benjamin Bonzi vs. Alex De Minaur
- Andrey Rublev beat Daniel Evans (25): 6-4, 6-2, 6-3
- Sebastian Korda (29) beat Daniil Medvedev (7): 7-6 (7), 6-3, 7-6 (4)
- Karen Khachanov (18) beat Frances Tiafoe (16): 6-3, 6-4, 3-6, 7-6 (9)
- Hubert Hurkacz (10) beat Denis Shapovalov (20): 7-6 (3), 6-4, 1-6, 4-6, 6-3
- Jiri Lehecka beat Cameron Norrie (11): 6-7 (8), 6-3, 3-6, 6-1, 6-4
- Felix Auger-Aliassime (6) beat Francisco Cerundolo (28): 6-1, 3-6, 6-1, 6-4
- Yoshihito Nishioka (31) beat Mackenzie McDonald: 7-6 (6), 6-3, 6-2
- Stefanos Tsitsipas (3) beat Tallon Griekspoor: 6-2, 7-6 (5), 6-3
- Jannik Sinner (15) beat Marton Fucsovics: 4-6, 4-6, 6-1, 6-2, 6-0