Final qualifying spot for Nitto ATP Finals up for grabs in Paris
- 02 Nov 2020
Following Andrey Rublev’s triumph at the Erste Bank Open this past week, only one spot in the 2020 Nitto ATP Finals remains in play at the Rolex Paris Masters.
Rublev became the seventh player to clinch a place inside the O2 Arena by capturing his tour-leading fifth title of the season on Sunday, when he defeated lucky loser Lorenzo Sonego 6-4, 6-4 in Vienna. The eighth-ranked Russian joins Novak Djokovic, Rafael Nadal, Dominic Thiem, Daniil Medvedev, Stefanos Tsitsipas, and Alexander Zverev in London.
The seven qualifiers
1. Novak Djokovic (11,380 points) – Will be the No 1 seed in London.
2. Rafael Nadal (9,850 points) – Will be the No 2 seed in London.
3. Dominic Thiem (9,125) points – Will be the No 3 seed in London.
4. Daniil Medvedev (5,980 points) – Will be the No 4 seed in London.
5. Stefanos Tsitsipas (5,925 points) – Currently the No 5 seed, could fall to No 6 or No 7.
6. Alexander Zverev (5,015 points) – Currently the No 6 seed, can climb to No 5 with by equalling or bettering Tsitsipas’ result in Paris at long as he reaches at least the quarterfinals.
7. Andrey Rublev (3,839 points) – Currently the No 7 seed, can climb to No 5 with a title in Paris — if Tsitsipas loses before the final and Zverev loses before the semi-finals.
The contenders for the final spot
Diego Schwartzman (3,285 points) – Clinches spot with Paris final, OR if Matteo Berrettini loses before the final AND David Goffin, Pablo Carreno Busta, Milos Raonic, Karen Khachanov, or Felix Auger-Aliassime fail to win the title.
Matteo Berrettini (3,075 points) – Must reach the final and must have Schwartzman lose before the semi-finals to have a chance.
David Goffin (2,555 points) – Must win Paris to have a chance.
Pablo Carreno Busta (2,400 points) – Must win Paris to have a chance.
Milos Raonic (2,265 points) – Must win Paris to have a chance.
Karen Khachanov (2,245 points) – Must win Paris to have a chance.
Felix Auger-Aliassime (2,171 points) – Must win Paris to have a chance.