Klugman dominates Efremova in the clash of prodigies at the Petits As
Britain’s Hannah Klugman dominated Russia’s Ksenia Efremova (6-3, 6-2), in the most anticipated match of the day at the Petits As
Britain’s Hannah Klugman and Russia’s Ksenia Efremova are both 12 years old and are among the best players in the world in the U-14 category. But on Thursday, in the round of 16 at the Petits As tournament, Britain’s Hannah Klugman dominated her duel against Russia’s Ksenia Efremova (6-3, 6-2).
Klugman, whose ball-striking quality is one of the best on the board at Les Petits As, relied on a physical maturity superior to that of Eframova to neutralize the aggressive game of Pierre Debrosse’s protégé. Better equipped on serve and skilled at moving from attack to defense, Klugman was never threatened with the score despite a little nervousness at the beginning of the second set.
Klugman will face Romania’s Eva Maria Ionescu on Friday in the quarter-finals.
Quarter-Final Line-up of the Petits As (Girls’ Singles)
• NGijol Carré (FRA, No 7) – Oluwadare (UK)
• Ionescu (ROU, No 6) – Klugman (UK)
• An (USA, No 8) – Samsonova (RTC)
• Depechova (SVQ) – Buchnik (SRI)
Quarter-Final Line-up of the Petits As (Boys’ Singles)
• Mrva (RTC, No 1) – Engel (ALL, No 9)
• Farzam (USA) – Carrier (UK)
• Exsted (USA, No 8) – Cina (ITA, No 3)
• Blanch (USA) – Schoenhaus (ALL)