Roland-Garros: Sabalenka reached third round for third year in a row
Aryna Sabalenka beats Madison Brengle 6-1, 6-3 to reach the third round and equal her best performance at the French Open
World No 7 Aryna Sabalenka escaped the carnage in the women’s draw with a comfortable 6-1, 6-3 win over American Madison Brengle to reach the third round at Roland-Garros on Thursday.
Sabalenka is one of only 3 top 10 women’s seeds to remain alive on Day 5 of the French Open, along with world No 1 Iga Swiatek and third seed Paula Badosa, who both won their second round matches on Thursday.
Sabalenka, who began the season at world No 2 but has struggled in the first few months of the season, will next meet Italian Camila Giorgi, the No 28 seed, for a place in the fourth round.
The Belarusian is through to the third round of the French Open for the third year in a row but has never reached the last 16 in four previous attempts.
Giorgi scored a 6-3, 7-5 win over Yulia Putintseva in another second-round match on Thursday.
Paris (Grand Slam): Other second-round results (Stade Roland-Garros, clay, EUR 43.600.000, most recent results first):
- Tamara Zidansek beat Mayar Sherif: walkover
- Iga Swiatek (1) beat Alison Riske: 6-0, 6-2
- Camila Giorgi beat Yulia Putintseva: 6-3, 7-5
- Madison Keys (22) beat Caroline Garcia: 6-4, 7-6 
- Elena Rybakina (16) beat Katie Volynets (WC): 6-4, 6-0
- Danka Kovinic beat Anna-Karolina Schmiedlova: 6-3, 7-5
- Daria Kasatkina (20) beat Fernanda Contreras Gomez (Q): 6-0, 6-3
- Veronika Kudermetova (29) beat Aleksandra Krunic (Q): 6-3, 6-3
- Paula Badosa (3) beat Kaja Juvan: 7-5, 3-6, 6-2
- Leolia Jeanjean (WC) beat Karolina Pliskova (8): 6-2, 6-2
- Irina-Camelia Begu beat Ekaterina Alexandrova (30): 6-7 , 6-3, 6-4
- Jessica Pegula (11) beat Anhelina Kalinina: 6-1, 5-7, 6-4