US Open: Andy Murray beats Moutet to earn 200th Grand Slam win with excellent display
The Scot becomes only the 8th man in the Open Era to reach 200 Grand Slam wins after the Big Three, Connors, Agassi, Lendl and Sampras
Murray is only the eighth man in the Open Era to achieve such a feat. He joins the esteemed company of the Big Three, Jimmy Connors, Andre Agassi, Pete Sampras and coach Ivan Lendl.
In doing so, the former world No 1 moves into the second round at Flushing Meadows, where he will face the significant challenge of Grigor Dimitrov.
A testing opening encounter for Murray
Despite winning in straight sets, it was far from an easy assignment for the three-time Grand Slam champion, who faced a talented left-handed opponent in Corentin Moutet.
The first set was straightforward enough for the Scot, breaking twice to take opener 6-2.
However, Moutet fought back in the second, puncturing Murray’s cast-iron defence with some blistering winners down the line.
A lengthy middle stanza looked to be coming to a conclusion at the Frenchman served for the set at 5-4. Both break points and set points came and went in a tight game, before the pressure Murray was exerting finally took its toll, the Scot breaking Moutet to gain parity at 5-5.
From there, the former British No 1 wrapped up the set quickly, taking advantage of his visibly deflated opponent to hold serve and then break again to take the second 7-5.
Competitive final set provides New York crowd with brilliant theatre and video replay drama
In the third and final set, on a crucial point at 15-30 up on Murray’s serve, Moutet asked for a video replay of a ball the umpire deemed to have bounced twice before the Frenchman hit it.
After an extended delay, and in somewhat farcical scenes, it transpired that the replay technology was not working and the umpire was unable to make a more informed decision. Therefore, the original call stood and Murray was awarded the point. Television replays suggested this was the correct call.
The rest of the set was a tale of attack versus defence, with Murray exerting huge pressure on Moutet’s serve only for the Frenchman to defend brilliantly, keeping Murray’s advances at bay by saving nine out of ten break points faced.
It was the last one that did the damage, though, as Murray finally made the breakthrough by taking Moutet’s serve in the eighth game of that final set.
The Scot then served out the match, saving break point along the way, for a truly historic milestone win.
“He’s one of the most skilful players on the tour, he has so many different ways to disrupt you,” Murray said of his opponent during his on-court interview.
“It was a long one. Three hours is a lot shorter than a lot of matches this year, so I’m happy to get it done in under three hours.”
There was positive news for the Murray camp when he was asked how his body was feeling following his abdominal injury.
“I feel good. The preparation was tricky… I had to slowly build my serving up, but I was happy with the way I was serving and the ab felt good.”
Next up for Murray is Grigor Dimitrov. The indomitable Scot will need to call on all his trademark fighting spirit if he is to notch his 201st Grand Slam win against the supremely talented Bulgarian.
New York (Grand Slam), other first-round results (USTA Billie Jean King National Tennis Center, hard, USD 44.700.000, most recent results first):
- Carlos Alcaraz vs. Dominik Koepfer
- Yannick Hanfmann vs. Jannik Sinner
- Taro Daniel vs. Gael Monfils
- Marc-Andrea Huesler vs. Hubert Hurkacz
- Lloyd Harris vs. Guido Pella
- Tomas Martin Etcheverry vs. Otto Virtanen
- Stan Wawrinka vs. Yoshihito Nishioka
- Yibing Wu vs. Dusan Lajovic: tuesday
- Nicolas Moreno De Alboran vs. Lorenzo Sonego: tuesday
- Daniel Elahi Galan vs. Daniel Evans: tuesday
- Timofey Skatov vs. Alex De Minaur: tuesday
- Botic van de Zandschulp beat Jordan Thompson: 6-3 ret.
- Radu Albot vs. Jack Draper: tuesday
- Facundo Diaz Acosta vs. John Isner: tuesday
- Arthur Cazaux vs. Andrey Rublev: tuesday
- Sebastian Baez vs. Borna Coric: tuesday
- Yu Hsiou Hsu (Q) beat Thanasi Kokkinakis: 6-3, 6-4, 3-6, 6-3
- Alex Molcan vs. Grigor Dimitrov: tuesday
- Cameron Norrie (16) beat Alexander Shevchenko: 6-3, 6-2, 6-2
- Daniel Altmaier beat Constant Lestienne: 6-7 (5), 6-3, 6-1, 6-2
- Alex Michelsen (WC) beat Albert Ramos-Vinolas: 6-4, 6-3, 6-4
- Michael Mmoh (WC) beat Karen Khachanov (11): 6-2, 6-4, 6-2
- Daniil Medvedev (3) beat Attila Balazs: 6-1, 6-1, 6-0
- Alexander Zverev (12) beat Aleksandar Vukic: 6-4, 6-4, 6-4
- Arthur Rinderknech beat Diego Schwartzman: 6-3, 6-4, 6-2
- Matteo Berrettini beat Ugo Humbert (29): 6-4, 6-2, 6-2
- Nicolas Jarry (23) beat Luca Van Assche: 6-3, 3-6, 6-2, 7-6 (3)
- Felipe Meligeni Alves (Q) beat James Duckworth (LL): 6-4, 7-6 (11), 6-3
- Christopher O’Connell beat Max Purcell: 6-4, 6-3, 3-6, 7-6 (5)
- Matteo Arnaldi beat Jason Kubler: 6-3, 1-0 ret.
- Arthur Fils beat Tallon Griekspoor (24): 4-6, 6-3, 5-7, 6-4, 7-5
- Novak Djokovic (2) beat Alexandre Muller: 6-0, 6-2, 6-3
- Borna Gojo (Q) beat Hugo Dellien: 6-3, 6-3, 6-1
- Stefanos Tsitsipas (7) beat Milos Raonic: 6-2, 6-3, 6-4
- Hugo Gaston (Q) beat Sho Shimabukuro (Q): 6-2, 6-1, 7-6 (4)
- Dominic Stricker (Q) beat Alexei Popyrin: 6-3, 6-4, 3-6, 6-3
- Benjamin Bonzi (WC) beat Quentin Halys: 5-7, 6-4, 6-4, 6-4
- Roman Safiullin beat Marco Cecchinato: 6-4, 6-2, 6-0
- Mackenzie McDonald beat Felix Auger-Aliassime (15): 7-6 (5), 4-6, 6-1, 6-4
- Christopher Eubanks (28) beat SoonWoo Kwon: 6-3, 6-4, 0-6, 6-4
- Bernabe Zapata Miralles beat Ethan Quinn (WC): 6-4, 6-4, 6-3
- Aslan Karatsev beat Jiri Lehecka: 6-3, 6-3, 6-3
- Tommy Paul (14) beat Stefano Travaglia (Q): 6-2, 6-3, 4-6, 6-1
- Taylor Fritz (9) beat Steve Johnson (WC): 6-2, 6-1, 6-2
- Jiri Vesely beat Enzo Couacaud (Q): 5-7, 6-3, 6-2, 3-6, 6-4
- Titouan Droguet (Q) beat Lorenzo Musetti (18): 6-3, 0-6, 6-7 (5), 6-3, 6-2
- Francisco Cerundolo (20) beat Zachary Svajda (Q): 5-7, 6-4, 6-4, 6-3
- Juan Pablo Varillas beat Miomir Kecmanovic: 1-6, 7-5, 7-5, 6-4
- Marton Fucsovics beat Sebastian Korda (31): 7-6 (4), 4-6, 7-6 (1), 4-6, 6-4
- Laslo Djere (32) beat Brandon Nakashima: 7-5, 6-4, 6-4
- Rinky Hijikata (WC) beat Pavel Kotov: 7-5, 5-7, 6-3, 7-5
- Jakub Mensik (Q) beat Gregoire Barrere: 6-4, 4-6, 7-6 (1), 6-2
- Frances Tiafoe (10) beat Learner Tien (WC): 6-2, 7-5, 6-1
- Casper Ruud (5) beat Emilio Nava (Q): 7-6 (5), 3-6, 6-4, 7-6 (5)
- Roberto Carballes Baena beat Holger Rune (4): 6-3, 4-6, 6-3, 6-2
- Alejandro Davidovich Fokina (21) beat Marcos Giron: 6-4, 6-4, 6-2
- Dominic Thiem beat Alexander Bublik (25): 6-3, 6-2, 6-4
- Ben Shelton beat Pedro Cachin: 1-6, 6-3, 6-2, 6-4
- Juan Manuel Cerundolo beat Ilya Ivashka: 2-6, 6-7 (4), 6-3, 6-3, 6-3
- Sebastian Ofner beat Nuno Borges: 7-6 (5), 3-6, 7-6 (7), 6-4
- Fabian Marozsan beat Richard Gasquet: 6-3, 6-1, 6-7 (5), 6-7 (1), 6-2
- Adrian Mannarino (22) beat Yosuke Watanuki: 7-5, 6-7 (3), 6-3, 7-5
- Zhizhen Zhang beat J.J. Wolf: 7-5, 7-5, 6-7 (5), 4-6, 6-3