Alert: Ashleigh Barty Wins Wimbledon Title
Ash Barty edged past Karolina Pliskova to claim her first Wimbledon title and become the first Aussie to lift the Venus Rosewater Dish in over 40 years.
- What happened: Australia’s Ashleigh Barty defeated Karolina Pliskova 6-3, 6-7(4), 6-3 to claim her maiden Wimbledon title.
- Key stat: Barty becomes the first woman from Australia to claim the Wimbledon title since 1980, when Evonne Goolagong claimed her second title at Wimbledon.
- Multiple Slams for Ash: Barty claims her second major title. She also won Roland-Garros in 2019.
- Off and running? The Australian won the first 14 points of the final against Pliskova to set a new women’s final record.
- From Juniors to Pros: Barty became the fourth Wimbledon junior champion to lift the Venus Rosewater Dish, joining Ann Jones, Martina Hingis and Amelie Mauresmo.
- Grass Guru: Barty improves to 33-9 lifetime on grass. Her .785 winning percentage is the third best among active players, behind only Serena Williams (.877) and Venus Williams (.808).
- To follow the matches live, see the men’s and women’s draws, we recommend that you visit the official tournament website.
- Follow all our Wimbledon news here.