Alert: Karolina Pliskova defeats Aryna Sabalenka to reach Wimbledon final
Karolina Pliskova edged Aryna Sabalenka in three sets to book her spot in the Wimbledon final.
- What happened: Karolina Pliskova defeated Aryna Sabalenka to reach her maiden Wimbledon final with a 5-7, 6-4, 6-4 victory in Friday’s second Wimbledon Ladies’ Singles semi-final.
- Key stat: Pliskova cracked 14 aces and 32 winners.
- Second Major final: Pliskova reaches her second Grand Slam final, and first since the 2016 US Open, where she was runner-up.
- First win against Sabalenka: Pliskova improves to 1-2 against Sabalenka. All three of the pair’s battles have gone three sets.
- Czech mate: Pliskova will bid to join Jana Novotna (1998) and Petra Kvitova (2011 and 2014) as the third Wimbledon Ladies’ Singles champion from the Czech Republic.
- Ace queen: Pliskova leads all women with 54 aces through six rounds. Sabalenka (52) ranks second and Ashleigh Barty (46) ranks third.
- Next opponent: Pliskova will face Ashleigh Barty in the final.
- To follow the matches live, see the men’s and women’s draws, we recommend that you visit the official tournament website.
- Follow all our Wimbledon news here.