Alert: No 15 seed Maria Sakkari falls to Shelby Rogers in second round at Wimbledon
American Shelby Rogers defeated Greece’s Maria Sakkari to reach the third round at Wimbledon.
- What happened: American Shelby Rogers, the world No 46, toppled Greece’s Maria Sakkari on Day 4, 7-5, 6-4, in a match that was suspended due to darkness on Wednesday after the first set.
- Key stat: Rogers reaches the third round at Wimbledon for the second time, and first time since 2017.
- Seed watch: Six top-15 seeds – No.4 Kenin, No 5 Andreescu, No 6 Serena Williams, No 9 Bencic, No 10 Kvitova and No 15 Sakkari have failed to reach the third round.
- Next opponent: The 28-year-old American will face Elena Rybakina, the No 18 seed, in the third round.
- To follow the matches live, see the men’s and women’s draws, we recommend that you visit the official tournament website.
- Follow all our Wimbledon news here.