Alert: No 2 seed Medvedev reaches round three with win over Alcaraz
Russia’s Daniil Medvedev overpowered Spain’s Carlos Alcaraz to book his spot in the third round at Wimbledon for the third time.
- What happened: Russia’s Daniil Medvedev is into the third round at Wimbledon for the third consecutive time with a 6-4, 6-1, 6-2 victory over Carlos Alcaraz in one hour and 34 minutes.
- Key stat: The world No 2 put on a serving clinic against the 18-year-old wild card from Spain, dropping just 2 points behind his first serve (38/40), but the return game is where Medvedev really did his damage – he broke Alcaraz seven times and won 20 of 27 second-serve return points.
- Next opponent: Medvedev’s draw could get a lot tougher from here. He’ll face either former finalist Marin Cilic or France’s Benjamin Bonzi in round three.
- To follow the matches live, see the men’s and women’s draws, we recommend that you visit the official tournament website.
- Follow all our Wimbledon news here.