Alert: Novak Djokovic defeats Shapovalov to reach Wimbledon final
Novak Djokovic engineered a straight sets victory over Denis Shapovalov to earn his 20th consecutive Grand Slam triumph and a spot in the Wimbledon final.
- What happened: Novak Djokovic battled past Denis Shapovalov, 7-6(3), 7-5, 7-5 to book a spot in his 7th Wimbledon final.
- Key stat: The world No 1 has now claimed 20 consecutive wins at Wimbledon and 20 straight wins at the Grand Slams – he is eight victories from becoming the first male player to achieve the Calendar Slam since Rod Laver in 1969.
- 20? Djokovic is one victory from tying Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal on the all-time Grand Slams men’s singles titles list.
- Next opponent: The Serb will face Matteo Berrettini in Sunday’s final. The Italian defeated Hubert Hurkacz in four sets on Friday at Wimbledon.
- Semi-final juggernaut: Djokovic has won 16 of the past 17 Grand Slam semi-finals that he has contested.
- 30 Slam finals: Djokovic reaches his 30th Grand Slam final, joining Federer (31) as one of the only two men to have reached 30 or more major finals.
- Three-peat? On Sunday Djokovic will bid to win his 3rd consecutive Wimbledon title and become the 4th man in the Open Era to record a streak of 3 consecutive Wimbledon titles.
- To follow the matches live, see the men’s and women’s draws, we recommend that you visit the official tournament website.
- Follow all our Wimbledon news here.