History for Italian men: Lorenzo Sonego joins Matteo Berretti in Wimbledon’s second week
Lorenzo Sonego joins a history-making Italian tandem after reaching the second week with a straight sets victory over Aussie James Duckworth.
- What happened: Italy’s Lorenzo Sonego has reached the round of 16 for the first time. The No 21 seed defeated Australia’s James Duckworth 6-3, 6-4, 6-4 on Day 6.
- History for Italy: Sonego joins Matteo Berretini in the first Italian duo to reach the second week at Wimbledon in the Open Era. Only twice previously have two Italian men have reached the round of 16 at Wimbledon – 1949 (Giovanni Cucelli and Rolando del Bello) and 1955 (Pietrangeli and Giuseppe Merlo). It would also be the 4th consecutive Grand Slam event where 2 or more Italian men have reached the last 16.
- Key stat #2: Sonego is making his 3rd Wimbledon appearance and his 14th Grand Slam overall.
- Next opponent: Sonego will face either Roger Federer or Cameron Norrie in the round of 16.
- To follow the matches live, see the men’s and women’s draws, we recommend that you visit the official tournament website.
- Follow all our Wimbledon news here.