“It does not make sense and it does not connect to what they are saying” – Azarenka on Wimbledon ban
If the Wimbledon ban holds then Victoria Azarenka will not be able to play the Championships and other grasscourt events in the United Kingdom this year
Former world No 1 Victoria Azarenka has called for the WTA Tour to come up with a reaction to Wimbledon’s uniltaral decision to ban Russian and Belarusian players from taking part at the grasscourt Major and other events in the United Kingdom this year because of the invasion of Ukraine.
Earlier this month, Wimbledon sent shock waves through the tennis world by announcing its decision which means that players such as Azarenka and Aryna Sabalenka, from Belarus, and Daniil Medvedev, Andrey Rublev and Anastasia Pavlycuhenkova, from Russia, among others, will not be able to compete at the All England Club.
Azarenka, who is also a member of the WTA Player Council, told the media in Madrid on Thursday that she has been part of long meetings taking place this week during the Madrid Open, which included a virtual call with Wimbledon chief executive Sally Bolton.
I have made my stance very clear on the issue. I will never, ever support war: Azarenka
The Belarusian, who clarified that she was against any form of war, told the media the Wimbledon ban was completely unjustified.
“There should be a reaction to that. If you are asking me if I agree with Wimbledon or see their reasoning after being on a personal call with them, I don’t see their reasoning. It does not make sense and it does not connect to what they are saying,” Azarenka said.
“I have made my stance very clear on the issue. I will never, ever support war. I will never support violence. I will never find any justifications for that. That is all I can say right now.”
The two-time Grand Slam champion is through to the second round of the ongoing Madrid Open after a 7-6 (7-5), 6-3 win over Switzerland’s Viktorija Golubic and will meet Slovenia’s Tamara Zidansek in Saturday’s second-round action.